Thanks to everyone who came out for a great talk on Tuesday night! One of the books I recommended was This New Noise: The Extraordinary Birth and Troubled Life of the BBC by Charlotte Higgins.
Welcome! Pub Quiz Time!
How is British TV different from American TV?
- Short seasons and show runs: Happy Valley, so far, has twelve total episodes in two series.
- Series are often written by one or two people. Like Mackenzie Crook’s Detectorists:
- The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is a public corporation, and is funded differently than American TV. In this clip, my co-author, Brit Jackie Bailey, tells you all about the TV licence.
- Brit actors do it all: Films, TV, stage. Consider the many faces of Ian McKellen (in addition to Gandalf):
The Good Liar:
And also Freddie Thornhill in Vicious:
- The Watershed: no “adult” content before 9 p.m. Here’s Jackie on this concept.
- Literary Adaptations
New Hot Brit Shows to Watch:
Islands of America, coming to Acorn, and starring Martin Clunes:
David Jason’s Secret Service (documentary)
Doctor Who (of course).
Downton Abbey the movie! (In theaters at the end of September.)
64 New British Dramas for 2019. I want to see EVERYTHING on this list.