Welcome! Pub Quiz Time!
How is British TV different from American TV?
- Short seasons and show runs: Happy Valley, so far, has twelve total episodes in two series.
- Series are often written by one or two people. Like Mackenzie Crook’s Detectorists:
- The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is a public corporation, and is funded differently than American TV. In this clip, my co-author, Brit Jackie Bailey, tells you all about the TV licence.
- Brit actors do it all: Films, TV, stage. Consider the many faces of Ian McKellen (in addition to Gandalf):
The Good Liar:
And also Freddie Thornhill in Vicious:
- The Watershed: no “adult” content before 9 p.m. Here’s Jackie on this concept.
- Literary Adaptations
New Hot Brit Shows to Watch:
Agatha Raisin, series 3, now on Acorn TV.
Julian Fellowes’s Belgravia.
New adaptation of War of the Worlds
Dublin Murders (on Starz; based on the novels of Tana French)
Gavin & Stacey Christmas 2019 Special (Clip is a recap; SPOILERS!)
Last Tango in Halifax, series 5, starting soon.
Dracula, from the team behind Sherlock, starting soon: Trailer.
The His Dark Materials trilogy, which started on Nov. 4: Trailer.
Islands of America, coming to Acorn, and starring Martin Clunes:
David Jason’s Secret Service (documentary)
Doctor Who (of course).
Downton Abbey the movie! (In theaters at the end of September.)
64 New British Dramas for 2019. I want to see EVERYTHING on this list.